The following features are new to Configuration Manager 2007 R2:
- Application Virtualization Management. For more information about managing virtual applications created using the Microsoft Application Virtualization platform, see About Virtual Application Packages.
- Forefront Client Security Integration. For more information, see About Forefront Client Security Integration with Configuration Manager 2007 R2.
- SQL Reporting Services Reporting. Allows you to report on Configuration Manager activity using SQL Reporting Services.
- Client Status Reporting. Provides a set of tools and Configuration Manager 2007 reports to assess the status of client computers, sometimes referred to as “client health.” Clients that show a change in activity patterns might need administrative intervention.
- Operating System Deployment Enhancements. The following enhancements are included in Configuration Manager 2007 R2:
- Unknown computer support?In Configuration Manager 2007 R2, you can deploy operating systems to computers using a PXE service point without first adding the computer to the Configuration Manager database. For more information, see About Unknown Computer Support for Operating System Deployment.
- Multicast deployment?Previously, all operating system deployments used unicast. Multicast can make more efficient use of network bandwidth when deploying large images to several computers at the same time. For more information, see About Multicast for Operating System Deployment.
- Running command lines in task sequences with credentials other than the local system account.