In the past few days i was fighting a strange phenomena:
After moving the RMS emulator role from one MS server to another, all of the performance reports and the different dashboard performance widgets stopped working and went blank.
I have started looking on my MS servers event logs in order to try and find out what went wrong.
I started by doing some tests to isolate the root cause of the problem:
1. Opend the console again with the clear cache parameter – reports and perf widgets are empty.
2. Using different users while logging in to the console. – no good.
3. Checking the Eventlog for strange errors when opening the dashboards – some errors but nothing was created right after trying to get perf data.
4. Create a new MP with a new dashboard – still noting…
5. Reconfigure one of the performance views – nothing.
After some thinking, i got to the conclusion that the problem is somewhere in the data warehouse – the reports are getting the data from the DWH and also – the dashboards perf widgets are getting their data from the DWH and NOT the DB as the other widgets.
So after some digging on the SCOM itself and a lot of Googleing i have encountered this post by Marnix Wolf:
10X Marnix !
As it appends, when importing the Exchange 2010 reports MP, two new data sets are created in the DWH:
After tracing back my steps while moving the RMS emulator role i noticed some 31552 events on one of my MS servers (the one that was the old RMS emulator) which indicate the there is a problem with one of these data sets.
I’ve removed the Exchange 2010 reports MP from my environment and run the fallowing store procedure against the two data sets:
DO NOT FORGET TO BACKUP YOUR SCOM DATABASES BEFORE YOU RUN THE FALLOWING STORE PROCEDURE.
DECLARE @DatasetId uniqueidentifier
SELECT @DatasetId = DatasetId FROM Dataset WHERE DatasetDefaultName = ‘NAME OF DATASET TO BE REMOVED‘
@DatasetId = @DatasetId
After a few hours, all of the DWH performance data is back in business !!!